Sunday, October 7, 2012

A weekend of firsts

Ever planned something?

I know the famous line is "the best laid plans of mice and men..." However, it really, Really, REALLY should be "The best laid plans of moms..." You're giggling because you know it's true.

See, I started a rough draft of today's post on Friday morning. The rough draft is still a rough draft. I will have to work on it a bit more. It's more thoughtful and reflective than this one.

See, I was planning on marking the 7th as a big day. We were to celebrate our 1 Month DTE (Dossier To Ethiopia) Day. There was a plan to make a batch of cookies each month to celebrate. And, each month would be a different type of cookie. ***Our DTE Day on September 7th had Snickerdoodle Pinwheels, out of a cookbook my mom-in-law gave me for Christmas one year. They were great.***

My plan was to hit the grocery store early Saturday, stock up for the meals for the coming week and grab the last ingredient that I needed for today's cookies. But, that was my best laid plan.

We were going to celebrate our 1st month of being on the waiting list for our adoption.

But, we had an unplanned first on Friday. Just a standard Friday, but with a couple of surprises. For one, Larry's twin sister, Jennifer, popped in for a surprise visit on her way back into town. That was an awesome surprise and we were all hanging around in the kitchen chatting away when our second surprise occurred.

Jeremiah crashed on his bike...big time. I mean Big Time! Poor little dude. He broke his thumb, broke his nose and knocked out his two front baby teeth.

Obviously, there was never another thought of my plans for the weekend. Immediately, we flew into scramble-mode. After we got Jeremiah (and Gideon) calmed down, we were able to assess the damage and determined the best course of action was visiting the ER.

Now, you might think that a mom with four sons has had to take one of them in for a broken bone before, but remember...this is a post about firsts.

Larry loaded Jeremiah up and went to the hospital. I did the frantic scramble of arranging for a friend to come and stay with the other guys (Thank you, Regan!), ordering pizza, making sure I had the new insurance cards, then hopping in the other vehicle. Of course, it was almost out of gas necessitating an additional stop before getting to the hospital.

It all caught up to me at the gas pump. Of course, I'm so grateful that it was only a broken thumb, broken nose and double-duty for the Tooth Fairy. But, you still hate to see your little guy hurting and upset.

Just rambling at this point. So tired. Ready for new day, when His mercies are new!

I'll post pictures of our tough guy tomorrow...and make cookies!

No comments:

Post a Comment